By DAILY MAIL REPORTER
'Gorgeous and beautiful': Celebrity milliner Philip Treacy has defended the headpiece Princess Beatrice wore to the Royal Wedding last Friday
Princess Beatrice's extraordinary choice of millinery for the Royal Wedding has been subject to rampant internet mockery. But today its designer spoke out in defence of the bold design.
Philip Treacy, who made headwear for a large number of guests including Victoria Beckham, Tara Palmer-Tomkinson and Zara Phillips, said Beatrice, 22, and her sister Eugenie, 21, looked 'gorgeous and beautiful' at their cousin's high-profile nuptials.
He told HollywoodLife.com: 'My inspiration was beauty and elegance; it's a 21st century royal wedding.
Outlandish: The Royal sisters both attracted widespread criticism for their outfits
'They didn't tell me [what they wanted] because I've known them for a long time and I wanted them to look gorgeous and beautiful.'
Brushing off the backlash, he continued: 'They trusted me to make them. Gorgeous and beautiful can be open to interpretation...
'I thought they looked gorgeous and beautiful. But no one is crying if anyone didn't.'
The 43-year-old had made a dramatic taupe creation for the elder princess to co-ordinate with her Valentino Couture ensemble.
But the oval headpiece in the shape of a bow with trailing ribbons became an internet sensation for all the wrong reasons.
Celebrity favourite: Mr Treacy at the Met Gala on Monday with Kate Winslet
Within hours it had its own Facebook page, titled Princess Beatrice’s Ridiculous Royal Wedding Hat, attracting 133,282 'likes' so far.
And bloggers have wasted no time in poking fun at the fifth in line to the throne’s headgear, creating a host of ‘viral’ mock-up pictures.
The spoofs suggested various uses for the designer titfer, including a cat flap, a Star Trek stun gun and even a toilet bowl.
Mr Treacy also designed a hat for Princess Eugenie, which also attracted criticism, though not as much as her sister's.
The designer, whose hats have been worn by everybody from Lady Gaga to Sarah-Jessica Parker, typically cost in excess of $1,000.
Hats Off to Royal Wedding Guests
- korean guy hairstyles
- celebrity hairstyles haircuts
- elegant wedding hairstyle 2011
- pretty wedding hairstyles
- new mode women hairstyles with bangs
- Fringe Hairstyles 2011
- Fringe Hairstyles Long Hair
- Fringe Hairstyles Short Hair
- Fringe Hairstyles Medium Hair
- It's official! Cheryl Cole WILL be a judge on the ...
- Katy Perry keeps her band waiting for an hour at t...
- Thor heartthrob Chris Hemsworth left red-faced aft...
- Untouchable makes a “You You” comeback on M! Count...
- Acoustic girl group ‘SpinEL’ debuts on M! Countdow...
- Kristen Stewart walks Robert Pattinson's dog in Ne...
- Oscar winning workout: Nicole Kidman shows the har...
- Sam Claflin To Play Kristen Stewart's Prince in “S...
- 'She looked gorgeous': Philip Treacy
- Jaimie Alexander in Thor Premiere Pics
- David Cook Participated Race for Hope in DC
- "Superman" Actor Jackie Cooper is Dead !
- Nick Cannon visits Mariah Carey as couple FINALLY ...
- Nicole Scherzinger makes the earth move in Right T...
- Costume Institute Gala: A Great Look 2011 Pics
- Teenage Boy Funky Hair Styles
- Choppy Hairstyles
- Hairstyles and Hair Cuts
- New Emo Hairstyles
- New hair styles
- ▼ May (29)
- ► 2010 (112)
- ► 2009 (84)